I have recently been drawing fish for a new design project. These are hand drawn in sharpie and then scanned in in black and white mode and converted to vector outlines in Illustrator. I then open the vectors in the CAD program Solidworks and create models by extruding the shapes. In this way I can use my own drawings to create and 3D print models that will later be molded into other materials (in this case concrete). My process is a combination of both old school and new school techniques but I enjoy the process of seeing my drawings transition between materials and dimensions.
Big fish (marlin, wahoo, & dolphin) and bait fish (flying fish, pilchard, & cigar minnow).
I have been playing around with a low-endish 3D scanner (Ours is Makerbot Digitizer). It has a fairly constrained scanning area so I have been starting out small with a few of my little clay sculptures. This guy is a simplistic whale with a hole that runs through the center. I digitally smoothed it and then edited the model with a boolean function in Autodesk 123D because the hole did not scan correctly. The bottom also had to be sliced off so it would sit flat for printing. The tail fused with the body of the whale, but I didn’t think that it was a huge deal. These were printed with 1.75mm pink PLA plastic. The prints are scaled at 75% and 50% respectively.
I was recently involved with exhibiting at the Maker Faire here in Atlanta. I participated with a group of friends under the umbrella of Oscar Eastwood. We made and sold simple circuit kits that were custom designed laser-cut critters with a LED, coin cell battery, battery holder, and conductive thread. It was a great experience and we loved sharing our designs with all of the kids who came by our booth. We are already planning on participating in more local creative events.
You can check out more pictures of our work here http://oscareastwood.com/
Below is my critter – Snapper.
I discovered a neat trick with an older project of mine, once you burn your candle down to the bottom you can use it as a planter. There is even already a hole in the bottom from the wick. I switched to a smaller diameter wick with the 2nd batch of candles I made so the walls stay fairly intact as it burns down. I thought of this idea a while ago, but it took me forever to actually burn a candle down and investigate.
Finalized (well…maybe..that is an awfully strong word) Snappy. The inverted image is for dying fabrics or stencils where I want the white to be the part that gets colored.